Friday, October 24, 2014
Sometimes when getting ready in the morning, we make little fashion mistakes that lead to us looking less than polished. Especially when running to the office in the morning, you want to make sure you are looking your best and putting your best image out there. I've learned these good little tips and tricks to make sure you instantly appear more polished.
1. Pick your outfit the night before. This can help prevent you from mismatching from grabbing clothes too fast.
2. A cami is an office gals best friend. Especially if you have a larger chest like me, you are always better off throwing on a thin cami underneath to protect you from flashing just a bit too much cleavage. Also opt for higher cut necklines that leave it up to the imagination.
3. Not tailoring your clothes, especially pants. You don't want to be that person hiking their pants up throughout the day. Invest a few dollars in a tailor to take your pieces from nice to exceptional. I have a tailor I go to all the time. I know that I have big boobs and a butt with a smaller waist. So I often need dress and skirt hems modified to cover more in the back and pants to be brought in at the waist.
4. Put on all your accessories and then take one off. Especially at work go for one statement piece of jewelry and let the rest be more subtle or ditch the statement all together and go for a printed top or dress instead.
5. Carry the smallest bag you can. You know us. As women we keep adding to our bags until they are bulging. Take only the size you need for that day's tasks and pare down to the essentials for that day.
6. When in doubt go with a midsize heel. I am a huge flats fan, but they don't go with every look. I also know that I feel most powerful in a great pair of mid height heels. They give instant polish while remaining comfortable enough to navigate the streets.
7. Always have a power outfit for any occasion. Have your go to look for work, casual weekends and nights out, so that if you find yourself in an outfit rut, you have an immediate backup choice that you know makes you feel good and look good.
Thursday, October 23, 2014
I love this cross body bag from GiGi New York. It is the perfect size and the wine color is great for this Fall. And the best part, you can monogram it. Christmas Wish List guaranteed.
So after a wedding marathon this year, I thought it was time to share some serious wedding etiquette that will take you from mediocre guest to killer guest.
1. Have a handful of dresses you can keep in rotation and pack 2. This will make sure you always have something to wear and that you will never clash with the bridesmaids.
2. Offer to help once. After that back off. If you are naturally a helpful person, feel free to offer the bride some help if you are buddies, but if she turns you down, don't hound her about it or ask again. She already has a lot on her plate.
3. Try to give the gift as close to the wedding as possible. Yes ettiqute says you have a year but a lot of couples will be taking advantage of registry completion discounts after the big day for items missing, so don't wait til everything is gone.
4. Don't go off registry. Speaking of gifts, stick to the registry or a gift card or cash. You really need to know someone well to go off registry. And if you do choose to take the risk, make sure its fully refundable and not just for store credit. Some couples may not love that same quirky boutique you like.
5. If you choose to bring your gift to the wedding, make sure it is small in size! Or take a photo and wrap it up. Remember the bride and groom now have to figure out how to get these large packages home.
6. Never ask to bring a guest or kids not listed on the invite. The names on your invitation are all the guests invited for your family. If you have a baby or a small child that you are bringing with you, ask about a babysitter or child care recommendations. And never ask to bring a plus one. The guest list is the hardest thing for a couple to decide upon. They already are missing friends they wish they had room for, so accommodating your plus one is a no go.
7. Party hard and dance it out, but make sure you are following the bride and grooms lead. Don't be hitting the dance floor before they even get the chance. It's not your day.
8. Do not play musical chairs at dinner. A lot of work went into the seating arrangements. Don't make a scene about it or cause any heartache or complaints getting back to the bride and groom. Don't love your seat? It's only dinner, you can make polite conversation and reunite with your pals on the dance floor.
What are your wedding tips?